Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Easy Meal Option

So, if you're a busy mom like me, you may find it hard (Let me rephrase that, impossible) to find time to cook supper. It seems like every time I head into the kitchen to do anything that involves me standing next to a counter, my little sweetie comes and wedges her way between me and that space. She pushes on my legs and then stares up at my with the biggest puppy-dog eyes. And on days when I'm feeling really determined, she may even turn on a few tears to try and tear me away from what I'm doing. And let's just face it, I'm a softie and it usually works.

But the other night, while the hubby was still out hunting, we were getting hungry and really didn't want to wait until he got home to cook something to eat. (We had done this a couple of nights before and it ended with me starving waiting for him and Augusta eating hours before). I decided to whip up breakfast casserole, easy enough, right?

It was, but Augusta was being tolerant of her mommy's cooking. This is also a meal that can be done in steps. You can do one thing and then walk away for a bit. Which is great for me and our life style right now.

And I know there are tons of recipes for breakfast casserole. Most are very similar, but this is mine and it is delicious. Our whole family loves it and it refrigerates well, so it is just as good re-heated the next morning for breakfast. I'm calling this a hearty breakfast casserole because it's meaty and definitely fills you up. IT's for those with hearty appetites.

Hearty Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:

  • 2 rolls of Jimmy Dean Sausage (We like regular, feel free to spice it up if you prefer)
  • 2 packs of Pilsbury Original Crescent Rolls 
  • 5 eggs
  • Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat oven according to the crescent package (325 degrees F)
  • In a baking dish, 9x13 for us, spread one tube of crescent rolls along the bottom. Set aside.
  • In a skillet, brown the sausage. (May need to do one roll at a time bc seriously it is a lot of sausage) Set aside.
  • In a separate skillet, scramble the five eggs. Once scrambled, add to the sausage and combine. 
  • Spread the sausage/egg mixture evenly over the crescents in the pan. 
  • Sprinkle cheese (amount to your liking) over the top of the mixture.
  • Finally, add the remaining pack of crescents to cover the casserole. 
  • Bake until the crescents on top of the casserole are golden brown. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment