Life flies by so quickly, it's crazy. Cannot believe a year ago we were a family if three just waiting to meet their newest addition. And now we are a family of four on this journey we call life with a three year old and a basically one year old! Craziness!!
Thinking about mommy-hood, here's a little something I wrote and saved shortly after having Calla...pretty much nothing has changed, these are still some if my favorites. And definitely favorites from when my girls were much smaller.
My favorite things about being a parent to an infant and a toddler
5. Being so important/needed--right now, my kisses make everything better. Mommy snuggles always calm the tears. They want you to pick them up and hold them safely in your arms. I don't know what I'll do when their family is no longer the center of their world. I love them relying solely on me and my husband. It is an awesome responsibility. One that we don't take lightly. It is work, but I wouldn't trade it. I love changing the diapers, fixing their meals, and getting them ready. Life has surely changed, but it is for the better. Parenthood is an amazing journey, one I'm so blessed to be on.
4.watching them grow/change--this is seriously the most awesome thing. Our God is truly amazing and how he created us is nothing short of miraculous. Seeing a tiny blip on an ultrasound, change to a baby with moving limbs. Then to give birth and see an actual tiny human that was actually inside of you--crazy! Then they're here and they grow and change so fast! They can't do anything then all of a sudden they're rolling and scooting. Then you turn around and they walk! Or they go from just staring, to smiling at laughing at you. And as a speech therapist I have absolutely enjoyed watching vocalizations turn to meaningful utterances and then to actual speech and sentences! I cannot put into words how amazing this whole process is!
3.experiencing world through their eyes--this is one of the coolest things ever. It's like bringing magic back into your life. Everything is shiny and new again, everything is amazing! Seeing them light up at the littlest thing is so incredible! They see a butterfly land near them and it's spectacular. Watching dust particles in the light streaming in is like hearing a secret. The reactions are priceless. And so are the conversations they bring. And when they discover--and actually enjoy--things that you find cool (or did as a child) incredibly awesome on another level.
2.little moments of quiet--so at this age, sometimes little moments of quiet are the best. They're rare, but that's what makes them so special. It's at these times you (mostly) get those good quality snuggles. And you can sit and reflect. You can study their little faces. Watch how they take in their surrounding (whether a book you're reading or a conversation going on around them). You can hold their little hands, that will grow, but still hold your heart forever. You can look at their precious feet and count the toes that will physically carry them through life. You can tell them how special and incredible they are, and hope that as the years go by they will cherish the memories of these moments as much as you. And maybe, just maybe, they'll never be too big to snuggle up with you and just be quiet together.
And that leads us to number 1!
1.sleeping baby snuggles--since they were infants, both girls have bed shared. I wouldn't have it any other way. They are only little once. No one goes to college still needing to sleep with their parents. But again, they are only little once, so let them be little. And if you've ever cuddled with a baby, especially your own, this one really needs no explanation. All the little things mentioned in number 2, definitely can be done while snuggly sleeping. And seeing a baby smile and laugh in their sleep? So worth every hard moment you've encountered that day!
Seeing how my littlest is about to enter the toddler years, felt like a good time to finally get these mommy-feelings posted. I love both my girls so much. Thank you both for making me a mother. For growing me, challenging me, and ultimately shaping me into. the person I am today. I love you snoogies!! Mwah!





No comments:
Post a Comment